29th October 2019

How Does Selective Licensing Affect My Rented Property?

If you are already a landlord or thinking of letting a property in Nottingham city centre, then you will have no doubt heard talk about Selective Licencing. But what is it, and what does it mean for you if you are looking at renting your property?

What is it?

Selective Licencing is an initiative established by Nottingham City Council in August 2018 to ensure the adherence of set standards for rental properties, targeting rogue landlords and unsafe properties across the city. The scheme includes set standards on:

  • Property management
  • Neighbourhood improvement
  • Anti-social behaviour (noise, rubbish, housing disrepair)
  • Landlord and agent suitability


Most landlords with properties within the city council’s jurisdiction now require a license. To check whether your property falls within the licensing area, you can use the Council’s handy tool here.

What do I need to do?

If your property is within an area covered by Selective Licencing, then it is your responsibility to apply for one immediately to continue renting your property.

Landlords operating in the city without the proper licence face a fine of up to £30,000 or criminal prosecution. It is crucial to arrange your licence now if you haven’t done so already.

How much does it cost?

The fee differs depending on whether you are an accredited landlord or not. Landlords with Nottingham Standard accreditation will be charged £480, those without accreditation will need to pay £780. Accreditation is available to landlords through either Dash or Unipol, with ANUK accreditation available for larger blocks of student accommodation.

The fee is split into two payments. The first due at the point of application, and the second due once the license has been granted.

How long is my license valid?

Once arranged, your license remains valid for up to five years.

However, throughout this period, you still have a responsibility to maintain standards at your property to ensure the validity of this licence. Nottingham City Council reserve the right to revoke any licenses on properties that fall below outlined standards.

What do I need to apply?

To obtain a license, landlords must provide the following:

  • Proof of right to reside in the UK
  • Gas Safety Certificate
  • Energy Performance Certificate
  • Landlord Insurance
  • Evidence of relevant training
  • Portable Appliance Test Certificate


What support is available in obtaining a licence and managing my property?

FHP Living Lettings is an established firm managing rented properties on behalf of landlords across the city. We currently manage over 1,000 tenancies across our residential portfolio, covering professional and student properties, with many of our team being ARLA or ANUK accredited.

As an FHP Living landlord, you can be safe in the knowledge that your property will be maintained to the highest standards in compliance with the new Selective Licencing standards. Our professional team of managing agents can take care of this whole process for you.

For more information on letting your residential property, contact your local FHP Living office on 0115 841 1155.